How I began as a freelance graphic designer
My name is Yulia. I live in Madrid, Spain. I work as a freelance graphic designer. Noteworthy, I am specialized in all kinds of illustrations for scientific publications. In particular, they cover most academic fields of knowledge. In fact, I have more than ten years of experience collaborating with different Spanish and international research teams. These experts publish their work in journals, books, posters, conferences, seminars, editorials, etc.
Obviously, I acquired the necessary technical knowledge for my job by completing several graphic and web design Masters and Courses for many years.
First of all, I started helping scientists working in Geology and Biology at the National Museum of Natural Sciences in Madrid. Secondly, I participated in the design of several official public exhibitions of this center belonging to the Spanish Research Council (CSIC). Furthermore, I also worked with various international experts from Morocco, Italy, Canada, Portugal, France, the United States, etc. Finally, in addition to drawing figures for various research teams, I was also a co-author of two scientific contributions by decisively designing the most adequate illustrations. Specifically, I collaborated in the geological fields of induced earthquakes and seismoclimatology.
If you think carefully when designing illustrations, you are already a step ahead in the creative process
Why I draw science
Drawing Science with graphic-design software became my profession in close collaboration with different teams of researchers. On the other hand, I have a scientific, creative, perfectionist and restless mind. Besides, each project represents a new challenge to learn and innovate in the art of illustrating multidisciplinary scientific fields. Certainly, freelance graphic design of scientific figures has now become an expanding field of work. Obviously, this is very important for experts when it comes to effectively communicate their work.
I am a freelance graphic designer and with Drawing Science Studio I intend to serve the scientific community and help better publicize its results for the advancement of knowledge.
- Spanish Professional Certificate in “Development of Applications with Web Technology”
- Spanish Upper Level Degree (Master) in Development of Multiplatform Applications (“Grado Superior de Formación Profesional”).
- Master in Graphical Design and Digital Communication.
- Coauthor of the scientific contribution “Prediction of the Central Mexico Megaearthquake (M 7.1; 09-19-2017)”. Doblas et al., 2017: Incoporated Research Institutions for Seismology – IRIS. September 21, 2017. Newspaper “La Estrella de Panamá”, 09-25-2017. http://ds.iris.edu/message-center/thread/3705/
- Coauthor of the scientific paper “The 2012/2014 swarmquakes of Jaen, Spain: a working hypothesis involving hydroseismicity associated with the hydrologic cycle and anthropogenic activity”. Natural Hazards, Springer Ed. (Doblas, et.al., 2014, V.74, P.1223-1261). https://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s11069-014-1242-0
- Graphic design of the figures and posters presented at the “American Geophysical Union Meeting of the Americas” in Cancun, Mexico (May 14 to 17, 2013): 1) “The 2012/2013 seismic crisis of Jaen, Spain: a working hypothesis involving hydroseismicity “(Doblas, et.al., 2013a; Abstracts, S23A-03; https://abstractsearch.agu.org/meetings/2013/JA/S23A-03.html); 2) “Geological deformations and potential hazards triggered by the 01-12-2010 Haiti earthquake: insights from Google Earth imagery” (Doblas, et.al.,2013b; Abstracts, S43B-08; https://abstractsearch.agu.org/meetings/2013/JA/S43B-08.html).
- Associate Commissary of the Exhibition Spanish Meteorites (2007, MNCN, CSIC). http://www.madrimasd.org/cienciaysociedad/resenas/exposiciones/exposicion.asp?id=18
- Graphic design of different illustrations and figures for several specialized scientific meetings (Brussels, Madrid, Castellon, Albacete, Jaen, Sevilla, Huelva, etc.).
- Assistant in different exhibitions organized by the MNCN (CSIC): Madrid, Santander, Leon, etc.
- Basic and Advanced Canine Education Training.
- Advanced Dog-Training for rescue during catastrophes (Police, Military, Firefighters).
- Management, customer-care and dog training in kennels.
- Participant in three International Conferences of Canine Rescue Units in Spain.
- Veterinary Assistant in an animal clinic of Madrid.
- Stablewoman and Jockey at the Zarzuela horse race track.